This is a MSGenWeb Project - a division of the USGenWeb Project

If you paid to get here you should know this is a free site!

Home

What's New?

African-American Project Bible Records Biographies Books
Cemeteries Census Project Churches Communities & Maps
County Info Deeds & Records Families & Family Sites Homes
Marriage Project Masonic Info Military Newspaper Project
Obituaries Places Photos Queries
Stories School Days Surnames Trivia
Volunteers Jefferson  Archives Jeff Connections  Tax Lists New !


 

Rodney
back to :  Communities & Maps

From Thriving River Port

to Struggling Ghost Town

     Rodney, Mississippi can first be located as "Petit Gulf" on the territorial map of 1765. In 1828 Rodney was legally incorporated as a city. It was named Rodney in honor of the Territorial Judge, Thomas Rodney.

     Rodney thrived as a river port rivaling Natchez and Vicksburg. As well as a business hub, Rodney was also a cultural center on the Mississippi frontier. Among the businesses fronting on Commerce and Magnolia Streets were banks, wagon makers, tinsmiths, barbers, doctors, dentists, general mercantile stores, hotels, saloons, and pastry shops. For cultural activity there were artists, theatre, lecture hall, schools, debating society, churches, jockey club and thespian groups.

     The first Rodney newspaper The Southern Telegraph was printed every Tuesday starting in 1834. Over the years the name changes included the Rodney Standard and the Rodney Telegraph. This four page weekly also changed editors frequently, but the two principal editors were Thomas Palmer and Thomas Brown. Thomas Palmer strongly opposed duels and whiskey and quite often editorialized on these topics. Thomas Brown, on the other hand, was an unyielding Whig and strongly promoted the Whig political position through his role as editor. However, throughout all the changes in names and editors the newspaper kept the same headlining motto: "He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot, is a fool; and he that dares not, is a slave."

     Some of the Rodney churches are still standing and in use. The Rodney Presbyterian Church is a fine brick edifice which was dedicated on 1 Jan 1832. The Rodney Baptist Church continues to be in use today. The Catholic Church that was built in Rodney was moved to Grand Gulf where worshippers attend today.

     What caused Rodney the thriving boomtown of the 1830's to become a struggling ghost town in the 1940's? The first factor was that the mighty Mississippi River changed its course and left Rodney "high and dry." Rodney could have survived if the railroad had put a line through this city, but the railroad never came. This has left us with Rodney, the colorful Mississippi River port which became a much talked about "ghost town."

..........Compiled by Carolyn Jean Adams Switzer

Rodney
Rodney
(moved to Grand Gulf)
 
Rodney about 1935
 

Rodney photo about 1935

Rodney photo about 1935

Rodney photo about 1935

 

Famous Rodney Folk

Bill Foster: Rodney, MS native and member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame; former Negro Leagues pitcher before serving as coach and administrator at Alcorn State University.

Old Rodney Pictures



Jefferson County MSGenWeb Project - footer

 

Last Updated

Monday, 10-Nov-2008 15:48:13 MSTYou are visitor number

Since

August 15, 2002


2002-Present by Ann Allen Geoghegan

All rights reserved. This information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies, however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owner. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.


Information on these free web pages may be linked to but may not be copied other than for personal, not-for-profit research.


These pages may not be copied, altered, converted nor uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, nor linked from any "pay-for-view" site, or linked in such a manner as to appear to be an internal part of another site including but not limited to "frame" capturing, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission

of the author and artist.

Contact the Webmaster:

 

County Coordinator: Ann Geoghegan

State Coordinator

Assistant State Coordinators or

 

Be a dear and Volunteer!