Tidbit # 1
There were several engagements within the boundaries of Jefferson County
during the Civil War.
Union Church on Apr. 28, 1862
Fayette on Nov. 22, Dec. 22, 1863
Griffing Landing on Oct. 24 and Nov. 10, 1863
Rodney on Dec. 17 & 24, 1863
Rodney on March 4, 1863
Clifton Cross Roads on Sept. 29 & Oct. 3, 1864
Red Lick ... Not sure of date. Do you know?
Although no decisive battles fought within the county, it was the scene of
frequent troop movements and heavily damaged by the confiscation of stock
and supplies by the Union Army. There was, however, little burning
Tidbits # 2
The Proclamation of Mr. Reagan,
Post-Master General of the Confederate States, announcing that he will
take the entire charge and direction of the Postal Service on the first
day of June, has the following clause: "Until a postal treaty shall be
made with the Government of the United States for the exchange of nai9ls
between the Government and the Government of this confederacy, and until
suppliers of postage stamps and stamped envelopes are procured for the
prepayment of postage under the provisions of the first section of the act
approved March 1st, 1861, Postmasters will not be authorized to collect
United States Postage on mail matter sent to or
received from those
States. " (found in the WPA papers in Jefferson County)
Tidbits # 3
WPA records state "Names have been given to different
portions of the county and the inhabitants are known by the different
names. Those from near the River are known as people of the Gulf Hills,
the North part is known as Red Lick, The North-eastern as Skilletville,
the extreme east as Union Church or Scotland, the South as Hominy Ridge or
Stampley Town, the southwest as Church
Hill or Maryland Settlement."
Anebec lives near Red Lick
Tidbits # 4
How about this tidbit?
Independence Bluff on
Richland Plantation was so called because of political
military drills held there in the early and stormy days of the county. A
Long hill near Fayette is called GRAVELLY HILL because of its chief
formation is of gravel. There is a neighborhood called BLUE HILL. The clay
is of a blue color. SIX MILE HILL is six miles from Fayette. ROCK HILL
near Red Lick is composed chiefly of solid rock. CHURCH HILL is so named
because of a beautiful old Episcopal Church located on a hill there. THE
BLUFFS PLANTATION lies near the Mississippi River. There are sheer bluffs
bordering the river there.
(from WPA records)
Tidbits # 5
How about this tidbit?
FAYETTE was named for
General LaFayette and selected as the county seat just about the time
General LaFayette visited the U.S. for the last time. HARRISTON was named
in honor of General Nathaniel Harris, first president of Vicksburg & New
Orleans Railroad. RODNEY was named for Judge Thomas Rodney, one of the
most popular Territorial Judges. Rodney was first called LITTLE
and later PETIT GULPH presumably because of a small gulf as the town was
located on the Mississippi River. STAMPLEY was named for the early
settlers of that name. MCNAIR was named in honor of Dr. A. K. McNair, an
early settler there. LORMAN was named for the daughter of the lady who
gave the right of way to the railroad.
(So states the info from the WPA
Tidbits # 6
How about this tidbit?
The Fayette Female
Academy was established in 1827. The Jefferson County Agricultural High
School for boys was established in 1884 by Dr. C. W. Grafton.
states the WPA records)
Tidbits # 7
How about this tidbit?
BEECH HILL ACADEMY and
Methodist Meeting House. "By an act to incorporate the Trustees of Beech
Hill Academy and Methodist Meeting House, In Jefferson county passed
February 6, 1819. Isaac Dunbar, George Barnes, Isaac Scott, William W.
Boyd and Isaac A. B. Ross are declared a body corporate by the name and
style of the Trustees of Beech Hill Academy and Methodist Meeting House
and made capable of raising by subscription or receiving by donations any
not exceeding the thousand dollars for the use and benefit of said
institution." Revised Code of the Laws of Mississippi at the end of year
Tidbits # 8
How about this tidbit?
Jefferson County Military
Organizations serving in the Civil War
13th Inf., Co. A, Charlie Clark
18th Inf., Co. D. Thomas Hinds Guards
22nd Inf. Co. D. Rodney
4th Cavalry Co. H.
Powers Regt. Cavalry Owen's Scouts
Regt. Light Artillery Co. A
1st Light Artillery, Co. K
County was well represented in the 'War of Rebellion'
Tidbits # 9
For your information:
Jefferson County Officers in 1877 were
Sheriff: Joseph B. McCormick
Treasurer: J.J. Whitney
Assessor: J. Rives Wade
Surveyor: Dunbar B. Wade
Coroner & Ranger: W.P. McGary
Supervisors: Dist 1 D. H. Cameron
Dist 2 Jno. D. Chamberlain
Dist 3 R. F. McGinty
Dist 4 Wm. Holmes
Dist 5 J. S. Vaughn
Justices of the Peace: Dist 1 A. B. Cato and D. H. Cameron
Dist 2 W. Sims and S.S. Johnson
Dist 3 J. D. S. Davenport and J.J. Powell
Dist 4 W. C. Nicholls and Robert Cox
Dist 5 J. Millsaps and G. S. Mabbit
Constables Dist 1 G. W. Cato
Tidbits # 10
The first paper publication in Jefferson County was in Rodney the winter
of 1833-34. Edited by Grafton Baker and published by Thomas Palmer,
who for a long time, was connected with different publications in Jackson.
The name of the paper was Rodney Standard. The press was moved to
Fayette about 1836 and edited by W. B. Tebo.
Tidbits # 11
The first mention of a road overseer that was found is that of Willie
Smith who was appointed overseer of the road from the public square in the
Town of Greenville to the north fork of Coles Creek.
In 1811 a jury was
appointed to view and lay out a road from William Fairbank's to the mouth
of Coles Creek and one from Union Town intersecting the road leading from
Selsertown to William Fairbank's with particular regard 'to the old road'
which was appointed for the eastern division of the road from Petit Gulph
(Rodney) to Red Lick in February of 1812. The jury appointed to view the
situation of the road from Greenville to the Petit Gulph to be turned by
the new bridge over Coles Creek made their report and the road was
established. Another road was from Greenville to Uniontown by the way of
Tidbits # 12
From the Fayette Chronicle, March 18, 1892
In 1825 Dr. N. L.
Bouldin, a Surgeon in the United States Navy who was a
graduate of the
Philadelphia Medical College , came to Rodney in Jefferson
a view to the practice of his profession. His success was
he at once rushed into a successful and extensive practice, but
means he employed was so novel that some of the old Doctors who had
retired from the death dealing profession, denounced him as a quack for he
cured all manner of diseases, especially chills and fevers by
small doses of a fine white powder which was unknown to
the druggist as it
could not be found in the pharmecoposite of that
day. The only explanation
that could be given was the magical effect it
had on various diseases common
to the country. "He came, He saw" and
the disease fled before him. The
charm lay in the fine white powder
which has of late years been freely
administered not only by the
professional but by the laity - this fine white
powder was only
Continued in Jefferson County Tidbits # 13
Tidbits # 13
(Continued from Tidbit # 12)
Fayette Chronicle, March 18, 1892
"When quinine was first
introduced into Mississippi it sold for $25.00 per
ounce, now it is
worth only 75 cents per ounce. It is a universal remedy -
do say it not only produces deafness, but affects the brain and
a general derangement of the system. The doctors may decide that
question but remember that quinine was introduced in 1825 by Dr. Nathaniel
(Pharmacopoeia by W.A. Watkins - New Orleans, February
Some more of Mississippi firsts !!!!!
Tidbits # 14
A complaint comes to us of the reckless driving of automobiles by Natchez
parties who visit the Church Hill District of the county ... More or less
frequently and it is stated that some of the these automobiles fail to
give warning of their approach and on several occasions have narrowly
averted running into vehicles in turning curves. Our information is from a
citizen of the district mentioned and his complaint is
well-grounded and our prosperous Natchez neighbors should show the proper
consideration for the rights of pedestrians and persons driving teams
while visiting this county, as well as respect of the law forbidding a
speed greater than twelve miles per hour on the public roads.
(Fayette Chronicle 6 May 1910)
Tidbits # 15, # 16, # 17 See Greenville
Tidbits # 18
Several have asked locations of different places within the county ... I
would suggest that you order the map "ROAD NAMES FOR A RURAL ADDRESSING
SYSTEM'" which can be obtained from R. K. Philips, County Surveyor, Rt. 2,
Box 78, Fayette, MS 39069. The cost is $7.50 which includes shipping and
For those of you that have that map:
From the various points of reference which were printed in Tidbit # 15, 16
and 17, the location of Greenville would be:
Some of the points of
references to it's locations are:
1. Near where Gen Thomas Hinds is
buried. Look at Sec 53 T9N R1E . Do you see the cross on the south side of
Freeman Road and to the east of Green Mountain Road. THAT is the Hinds
2. The Abijah Hunt place was in Sec 11 T9N R1E. Of course, it
was much larger than that section, but that is where the cemetery where it
is believed that he is buried and the cemetery was on his plantation.
3 . At the intersection of Rodney Road at Hwy 553, there is a Historical
marker which indicates that Greenville was located close to there.
It shows the 'Proposed Natchez Trace' which is now open from Natchez to
Hwy 20 in Hinds County.
Hope you found these Tidbits about Old
Greenville to your liking!!
Tidbits # 19 See
Tidbits # 20 See Union Town
Tidbits # 21 See Shankstown
Tidbits # 22 See Dennis Cross Roads
Tidbits # 23 See Raccoon Box
Tidbits # 24 See Spring Hill
Tidbits # 25 See Red Lick
Tidbits # 26 & # 27 See Church Hill
Tidbits # 28 & # 29 See Greenville
Tidbits # 30 See Beech Hill Academy
Tidbits # 31 & # 32 See Stonington
Tidbits # 33 The Cheese Factory
In January of 1931 Mrs. Etta
Huttenlocher in consideration of $75. sold one square acre of land to Mr.
August Lindner for the erection of a cheese factory. The land lay a short
distance north of the corporate limits of the town of Fayette on the east
side of the gravel road leading from Fayette to
the Poor House. The
money was donated by certain citizens of Fayette who wish to encourage the
enterprise. Mr. Lindner, after operating the business only a few months,
closed the factory and left the county.
Tidbits # 34 See Population
Tidbits #35 - Some of the Remarkable Early Settlers
Some of the
tradesmen in the early developmental years of Jefferson County were:
Plows, axes, and wagons were made at Clifton by Richard Surry, and by Ben
Miller at Raccoon Box in the Cane Ridge District.
established a tannery at Uniontown, Dowd's Creek and Ellisland.
Warner established an extensive manufacture of shoes, but ultimately had
to yield to foreign competition.
John H. Shanks had a tan yard at
John Christy was a Silversmith. He made cups and spoons out
of silver dollars.
John M. Pintard was both a cabinet maker and
Christian Getzendanner made bull whips.
Robert B. Farley
David Greenleaf had a gin at Selsertown and
conducted a successful business until 1807.
Oliver William Fuller who
with his sister Harriet taught a female school in 1810 at the Fuller Field
whose two brick kilns since have been burned near Red Lick.
tidbit came from the WPA records!!!
Tidbits # 36 - The Harriston Oil Works
On June 29, 1899 the
Harriston Oil Works was incorporated with a capitol stock of $20,000. S.R.
Ewing was president and W. G. McNair secretary and treasurer for the stock
company. A sum of money was borrowed by the company from S. Hirsch of
Fayette in 1900 and as the concern was unable to meet the notes, Mr.
Hirsch had the property sold at Auction August 5, 1901 at the
Court House in Fayette. It fell into the hands of J. M. Frankenbush and
Sons of New Orleans. The amount paid by Mr. Frankenbush was #5,325. There
were other claims amount to $8,564., all satisfied by Frankenbush and
On September 1901 the Jefferson Gin and Oil Works was
incorporated at Harriston, MS with a capital of $15,000. / for the purpose
of operating a cotton seed oil mill and public cotton gin; to buy
cottonseed for manufacturing cotton seed oil, meal or cake, hulls and
fertilizer. This mill
operated until 1911 and was owned by Joseph W.
Frankenbush and Sons and was sold to Mr. Ewing. (Deed book LLL page 56)
Tidbits # 37 - More on Oil Mills
In an article written by D. H.
Chamberlain in the Fayette Chronicle of February 18, 1898, he suggested
that if the two gins could be consolidated there would be successful
exploiting of an oil mill, and industry which would add more to the town
than anything. Not only this, but another industry would be added, that of
feeding cattle on a large scale.
The contract for erecting the
Fayette Oil Mill buildings was awarded to Enochs and Davis of Vicksburg.
The building was completed in 1900. It operated until 1906 and was then
sold to the Butler Keyse Oil and Fertilizer Company of Birmingham,
Alabama. The mill after a just a few years proved to be no longer
profitable and this firm shipped the machinery to Birmingham and sold
the buildings to the Fayette Gin and Milling Company in 1912.
Fayette Gin and Milling Company was incorporated in 1915. (Deed Book RRR,
pg 207) James McClure was president of the Mill and Judge Jeff Truly, Vice
president. T. B. Stone was the manager.
The Rodney Gin and Oil
Company was incorporated in 1899 with a capital stock of $5,000. and
continued operations until 1917 when the lands and personal property were
sold in Fayette at the front door of the Court House to the highest
(Fayette Chronicle, April 20, 1917 - Deed Book, HHH, Pg 491)
Tidbits # 38 - More on Gins & Oil Mills
Prior to 1883 Fayette's
nearest gin was on the Coffey place on the outskirts of the town. This was
an old fashioned mule powered engine, but the farmers living near by took
their cotton there, and by paying toll, had it baled. The summer of 1883
saw quite an improvement in the ginning method. Mr. Joseph Huber, and his
son, Willie, came to Fayette from Natchez and erected the first
gin in Jefferson County. In the fall it began operations as a public gin.
In 1886 Mr. Huber added a handle factory. In 1895 he sold out to McClure
and Harper, Merchants and Cotton Buyers of Fayette, but continued its
operation only a few years. The next public gin in Fayette was the Fayette
Gin and Milling Company erected by S. Hirsch, Jeff Truly and others..
In 1915 this company incorporated and in the incorporators were: Hirsch,
Hicks, Krauss Brothers and Noble. Domiciled in Fayette with a capitol
stock of $6,000. "per value of shares $100. period of existence not to
exceed fifty year. The purpose to operate a cotton gin, a grist mill, to
buy and sell
cotton, corn, cotton seed and all kinds of fertilizers, to
buy and sell timber, brick, lumber, shingles and all building material, to
buy, sell, and feed all kinds of live stock, to loan or borrow money, and
to buy and sell wood and coal."
The Producers Gin and Warehouse
Company was incorporated in 1917. It was domiciled at Fayette, Jefferson
County, Capital stock $16,000., par value of shares $100. not to exceed
fifty years of existence. The purpose, to run and operate a cotton gin,
grist mill, public ware house, grind corn and other grains for the public,
to buy and sell cotton, cotton seed, corn, peas and all
kinds of grain,
feed products and fertilizers; also timber, lumber., cement, brick,
shingles, and all kinds of building materials. There were thirteen
incorporators, from Fayette and the county.
(Fayette Chronicle August
The Union Church Gin was founded in 1899 by L.A. Cato
and was later owned by his son Paul Cato. The average number of employees
were four with a payroll of about $500. per ginning season. The cotton was
marked in New Orleans or Brookhaven and the seed was sold to the
Hazelhurst Oil Mill.
So Sayeth the WPA records.
Tidbits # 39 - Enuf already on Gins & Oil Mills
The Cannonsburg Gin
was founded in 1891 by W. P. Bisland. and after his death was operated by
his wife. It was located at Cannonsburg on the Y. & M.V. Railroad. The
number of employees were seven during the ginning season, and the payroll
amounted to $1,000.
The Stampley Gin was located at Stampley and
was founded in 1908 by C. M. Mardis. The number of employees during
ginning season was six and the payroll amounted to $500. The cotton was
marketed in Fayette and Natchez.
The Producer's Gin and Warehouse
Company employed two regular workers, two part time and twenty during
ginning season. The annual payroll was $6,887.
The Fayette Gin and
Milling Company employed eight regular workers during the ginning season
and the annual payroll was $1,238.
In 1899 the first Gin and Oil
Mill was established in Rodney by a Stock Company. Later the gin was
bought by August Reitze and operated until his death in 1936 at which time
it passed into the hands of Vincent Piazza who operated it principally for
his own use.
Scott Ellis established a Steam Gin in the 1890's at
Lorman. Before 1902 Mr. L. Cohn bought the gin and pressed both round and
square bales. The Gin was a up-to-date model and put out hundreds of bales
each year. Mr. Cohn came to American from Alsace in 1872 and clerked in
Rodney for two years. In 1875 he opened a store in Lorman. The Cohns owned
large holdings of real and personal
property in Jefferson County.
Thus endeth the account in the WPA records of the Gins & Oil Mills in
Ann Brown Anebec
Tidbits # 40 A Honey of a Deal
In 1884 H. B. Shaw of Gum Ridge
Plantation established a apiary, and had all the latest patents to aid the
busy workers in the manufacture of honey. He had one hundred and seventy
stands under the management of an experienced apiarist from Michigan.
A swarm of Italian bees, which he considered superior to our native bees
were imported. In 1885 he shipped four hives of bees to Ontario, Canada.
Tidbits # 41 Silk Worms in Jefferson County?
A unique industry was
carried on in Fayette by Mrs. L. B. Harrison. She became interested in
silk culture and purchased a lot of eggs of silk worms to experiment with.
After the eggs hatched, the busy little silk makers webbed up, and Mrs.
Harrison had a large basket filled with cocoons. Shipment was made to the
Woman's Silk Culture Association in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
This article appeared in the Fayette Chronicle, July 2, 1886.
Tidbits # 42 - 49 See Mississippi Panic of 1813
Tidbits # 50 See Biography of Colonel John A.
Tidbits # 51 Misc
From the Fayette Chronicle in the 1960's.
the 78,000 Mississippians, who went off to war in the Confederate Service
in 1861, more than 59,000 either died or were wounded. That certainly was
a huge price to pay for fending southern rights. And that's not to mention
the millions of dollars of property damage done by the conflict.
100 years ago the men of this state fought, and as you see, many died for
the principle. They took up arms to defend what was right. What a contrast
to our present day situation. There is such wide-spread apathy across our
country that many people don't even know what a principle is let along
stand and fight for one. And what's so ironic is that we all feel so
sophisticated in today's educated society and those poor lads in 1861 who
went to war to defend their way of life were over 90 percent illiterate!
Somewhere along the years we have lost some of the quality to life."
Tidbits # 52 - Charlotte County
I found this tidbit in Rowland's
MISSISSIPPI, Vol I A-K and thought that it might be of interest.
This was the western division originally of British West Florida and
included Mobile and the country to the Mississippi. Mobile was the seat of
government, subordinate to Pensacola. The gulf coast of the present State
was a part of it, also Baton Rouge. The gulf coast was opened by treaty
with the Choctaws in 1765. After 1770 the Natchez district, to the Yazoo,
was added, and the boundary established by treaty with the Indians. The
population of the river border rapidly increased, and before 1778, or in
that year, the county was divided, and the districts of Manchac and
Tidbits # 54 Daniel Beasley
Taken from MISSISSIPPI VOL I by Dunbar
DANIEL BEASLEY, was a Virginian, who settled in
Greenville, Jefferson county, in the early Territorial period, and
practiced law. He was also sheriff of the county, an intelligent and
popular man, with many personal friends. He had an affair on honor with a
Mr. Fry, a rising member of the bar, of the same county. They fought
opposite Rodney, and the latter fell. It was peculiarly
for he was on the eve of marriage with a most beautiful woman. This
rendered Beasley very unhappy. He wrote to General Claiborne to obtain a
commission in the army. The general appointed him his aide, and Colonel
Wood, resigning about this time, Major Joseph Carson became colonel, and
Beasley was appointed (by President Madison ) major on February 15, 1813.
In command of two companies he was stationed at Fort Mims, where, through
lack of vigilance, he was surprised about noon on August 30th, the Indians
rushing through an open gate into the fort. Judge Toulmin wrote" Major
Beasley was shot through the belly near the gate. He called to the men to
take care of the ammunition and to retreat to the house. He went himself
to a kitchen, where it is supposed he must have been burned."
Tidbits # 55 through # 67 See Minutes
of the County Court - July, 1832